Unnao: Awakening

 



And today I awake 

To a sun I’ve never known, 

To a fragile, pervading darkness, 

Where the light has never shone. 


These young limbs and tender eyes, 

Battle weary and bruised, 

As the head hangs down over a tired chest, 

The powers that be,  look on amused. 


That fateful day that tore my flesh away 

Relegated my soul to a mere shadow of day. 


The cacophony of chants, of demands and slander 

My dignity, through the wide river of judgement, to meander. 


These accusations I’ve made with my mouth (and not my skin). 

How could they possibly be proof of his sin? 


These wounds inflicted, now ripped open and gape; 

The serving of justice must bow to the politics of rape. 


And I’m dragged, I’m carried, and bodily removed. 

This final act of protest to be forgotten, and soon. 

For he, who caused me harm, must prevail in this sun. 

While I make my complaints to the indifferent moon. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 57th Day

Hades’ Lament (when you’re a fan of Greek myth romances)

A fairy tale tragedy