Hades’ Lament (when you’re a fan of Greek myth romances)

 Hades’ lament 


Persephone, O maiden fair, 

Turn to me and show me you care 

The lord of death, though I am 

My immortal power is only a sham. 


Corpses I rule, and corpulent beasts, 

My table overflows with inedible feasts, 

Muddy waters and waves of the Styx,

Despair beyond what I can fix. 


So come to me bride, accept my offer,

Take this pomegranate and fill my heart’s coffers. 

Darkness I command, as I would your heart

The absence of you, daily tears me apart. 


Spring and summer, the seasons of sadness, 

The sun sets too slowly and I descend into madness. 

You did not forsake me, return to me my dove 

A rape so gentle, was only a token of my love. 


I had to have you, hell’s throne beckoned. 

You were always my first and no place for a second. 

Everlasting though I am, of Father Cronos born, 

I have no strength left, when your love from me is shorn. 


Autumn and winter, make haste for your master,

Bring me your snow flakes and blizzards ever faster. 

My soul, she floats blissfully above the fertile ground; 

While her husband weeps for her with nary a sound. 


So come my Persephone, my queen, my wife, 

With your radiant presence, bring your slave to life. 

Touch me with your eyes, your lips and your hand; 

This season of separation is more than I can stand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 57th Day

A fairy tale tragedy